As a well sought after installation for vehicles today, catalytic converters are being stolen from cars and sold for scrap metal. If you are unaware of what a catalytic converter does, it controls the emissions that your car expels. When you car’s exhaust is producing toxic gas like carbon monoxide and other hydrocarbon’s, your catalytic converter creates a chemical reaction – inevitably producing less dangerous emissions.
Now, when preventing your catalytic converter from being stolen, there are some common sense tips that not many find so common,
- Park your car in a well-lit area.
- If you go to shopping centers late at night, make sure to park closer to the front doors or near a read with more traffic.
- Have your license plate number engraved on your catalytic converter to make it more traceable.
- Make sure your car has an up-to-date security system that will sound with the slightest movement.
- Make sure those installing your converter secure it within the vehicle’s frame with welded steel.
Catalytic converter theft is one of the most popular crimes committed in the greater Chicago area to the point where muffler shops are making sure to follow the welding step. So, make sure your muffler shop properly and securely installs your converter – that’s the obvious first step – the rest is up to you.